How to Make Peanut Butter

how to make peanut butter

Until recently, I had no idea how to make peanut butter and never even considered making it.  One day it occurred to me that my VitaMix (“blender on steroids”, as we like to call it) could make peanut butter.  I had no idea how easy, fun and cheap it could be!

I love peanut butter, but it has to be the natural kind.  I lost my taste for JIF and Peter Pan years ago and never went back.

To make your own natural peanut butter, all you need is a food processor (in my case, my much-loved Vitamix!) and dry roasted peanuts.

I have made the peanut butter with unsalted, lightly salted, regular salted, and honey roasted peanuts.  Each of them worked just fine, but I liked the unsalted and the honey roasted the best!

homemade peanut butter peanuts homemade peanut butter vitamix how to make peanut butter vitamix how to make peanut butter tamper homemade peanut butter in vitamix homemade peanut butter closeup The result: creamy, smooth fresh peanut butter!

homemade paenut butter in jar A mason jar is perfect for storing the peanut butter!

homemade natural peanut butter Sometimes I find peanuts on sale and am able to save a good bit of money.  Even when I can’t find them on sale, I prefer to make my own peanut butter because it’s really fun and my boys love it.  They always beg for a spoonful of it straight from the VitaMix!

I was shocked when my picky eater (the Little Buddy) actually liked my natural peanut butter.  Now he eats it on his dinosaur sandwich almost every day!

peanut butter sandwich Now that you know how to make peanut butter, you can make it a fun thing to do in the kitchen with your kids!

{Linking up with The Thrifty Home, Mouth Watering Monday, Life Made Lovely, Foodie Friday and This Chick Cooks!}

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS

, , ,

9 Responses to How to Make Peanut Butter

1. Neena September 16, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Thanks for the great tutorial! We go through so much PB at our home and I’m excited to try to make a batch. We just bought a Vitamix a few months ago and are having a great time making smoothies, and “ice cream” and soups. PB is next! I stumbled across your blog and I’m loving the great tips and recipes. Really intrigued about your sugar cleanse. Thanks!

• Christen September 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Don’t you love the vitamix??? It’s a little miracle blender :) The PB really is just so easy — have fun making it!
      Oh, and the sugar cleanse has been wonderful!!! Definitely worth it if you’re a sugar junkie!

2. Jo May September 18, 2011 at 11:32 am #

who knew,that seems simple enuff,and you don’t have to add any extra stuff,I love peanut butter,about as much as chocolate,oh wait nothing can top chocolate,but peanut butter slides in second place for sure.I got to try this.Thanks for sharing,I’m visiting from FOODIE FRIDAY.
    ~Jo

• Christen September 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

I was amazed how simple it was and how smooth it got. I like it better than any other store-bought PB! Yeah, nothing beats chocolate…except PB AND chocolate!!!! Thanks for stopping by! :)

3. Kinze Schilling September 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

yum … and i just found a recipe for nutello also! fun stuff!

4. kacey @ om&nom September 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

We love making our own peanut butter! It looks like your VitaMix does a little bit better with the creaminess than our blender does:) We love adding flavors to ours…cinnamon raisin has been our favorite so far!

• Christen October 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

The vitamix truly does a great job of getting it smooth…it’s amazing! I’ve been planning to try some different flavors but had not thought of cinnamon raisin…sounds good!!

5. Erin October 7, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I have a couple questions. Where do you store the butter? How long do you think it would keep? We don’t do thru a ton of PB, but I would rather have homemade than storebought.

• Christen October 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

If you are storing it in something airtight I think you are definitely fine for a good 2, probably even 3 weeks! As good as the homemade PB is it may not last as long as usual around your house!!!

• Social Slider