Oh yeah! This honey almond cake recipe is so delicious, and if you don’t tell anyone, they will never, ever guess that it is made without flour and sugar.
And the wonderful part of this cake is that it is full of omega-3 fatty acids (heart-healthy) as it is full of almonds. I’m not going to lie…it’s not super low-calorie. But it does have the health benefits of almonds.
An added benefit: it’s gluten-free! We don’t have any gluten intolerance in our household, but a lot of people do. This is a wonderful, tasty dessert for those looking for gluten-free.
What you’ll need:
9 in springform pan
food processor or blender (I use my Vitamix)
1 1/2 cups whole almonds
4 large eggs (room temperature)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of sliced almonds (optional – I did not use these on top)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut a circle of wax paper the size of the springform pan and lay in the bottom of a greased pan. I sprayed with Pam cooking spray.
5. Beat 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, baking soda until well combined.
7. In another bowl, beat 4 egg whites until white and very foamy. (It shouldn’t be beaten too long — if it can hold peaks you’ve beat it too long)
8. Now, gently gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture. (I’m not a gently folding kind of girl, so this was hard for me!)
Here’s the other exciting part: my kids loved it too! I was very skeptical, but the Little Buddy (very picky eater) loved it and my Little Stinker INHALED IT (as always).
This almond cake recipe from Eating Well is well worth the effort it takes! Such a better alternative to high-sugar, high-flour recipes.
Linking up at: